KELOLAND Media Group is now seeking applications for internships
The application process will require a cover letter and copy of your resume. In either your resume or cover letter, please include a link to any samples of your work-to-date. If you do not currently have any samples of your work, it is not a requirement for application. Interns need to be pro-active and serious about pursuing careers in broadcast and online journalism. The deadline to apply for Summer 2018 Internship positions (Mid-May – Mid-Aug) is Friday, February 16, 2018.
An in-person or phone interview with the assignment editor, prior to acceptance, is required. Please call or email with any questions or concerns about the application and/or internship process:
501 S Phillips Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57105
(605) 357-5664 email@example.com
STUDENT INTERNSHIP REQUIREMENTS
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Students must be enrolled in an accredited college or university and have reached the junior or senior level. (Special arrangements can be made for a student in a lower level if meeting other criteria and department approval.)
- Student must submit the internship form signed by your advisor (if required) before the internship begins.
- Internship positions are paid, and for scholastic credit. The hours are usually 40 hours per week, depending on the department and student.
- Internships last a minimum of ten weeks and can last up to six months.
- Internships are available in News. Students will learn about the broadcast/digital industry from the business and technical sides of all areas.
- Must be a journalism/speech communications major.
- Must be in the top 20% of your class in course related work in your major.
- Must be able to work at least five, eight hour shifts per week, including weekends.
- Students will augment their classroom experience through participation in various business and news activities and projects. KELOLAND Media Group will provide extensive supervision, and one-on-one training.
News interns have the opportunity to be inside a major television news operation. Interns are trained in KELOLAND Media Group's on-air and online writing systems. Interns are expected to be punctual and dependable for their assigned work shifts which include days and weekends (8:30-5:30 Friday-Tuesday). However, due to the nature of news, hours and days may vary. The requirement is approximately 40 hours per week. Duties include learning by observation and assistance to news reporters, photojournalists, and Web producers, and newscast producers. Interns must be reliable, able to work within a group or on their own. They may or may not be receiving college credit for the internship. Juniors and Seniors are preferred. Specific aspects of the internship program include, but are not limited to:
TELEVISION REPORTING - Duties include learning by observation and assistance to news reporters, photojournalists; script basics; write VOs and VO-SOTs; write and voice packages.
- Basic digital video editing (do's and don'ts); get familiar with machines and the editing process; increase speed (editing and writing). PRODUCER
- Work with newscast producers to put a newscast on the air; work with operations staff during newscast; learn how to format a newscast; graphic selection and development; work under pressure as a contributing team member. WEBSITE
- KELOLAND.com duties include research and gathering information; populate social media accounts; learning to shoot and edit videos for the Web; develop Web content under supervised conditions; generating still Web images; uploading content to Web; learn website management and Web page design. Get to see firsthand how digital media is being integrated into News reporting. Gain valuable writing experience on the Web and get the chance to learn from working journalists at KELOLAND Media Group.