Sioux Falls, SD
It is sometimes referred to as the "silent killer," but you may know it by another name.
Carbon monoxide can come from many different appliances, such as your furnace or oven.
"In our home, they're located outside of all of our bedrooms. My daughters' bedroom, and my bedroom, the hallways and the living room," Alexa King said.
As a mother of two, King knows that it's not just her safety she has to worry about. These carbon monoxide detectors give her peace of mind.
"Carbon monoxide, you'll actually go into a deeper sleep if you are sleeping. So, we just want to make sure you hear that detector going off," Sioux Falls Fire Rescue Inspector Tyler Tjeerdsma said.
King knows the dangers and tests her carbon monoxide detectors yearly.
"Our smoke detectors and our carbon monoxide detectors are combined into one," King said.
"A lot of the new ones come with a smoke, carbon monoxide combo already put into them. They have a 10-year battery pack on them; that's what we recommend going out and getting," Tjeerdsma said.
The devices are especially important if you have fuel-burning appliances.
"First of all, have a professional take a look at your furnace and make sure it's ready to go for the year. Second of all, check those carbon monoxide detectors. We recommend having one on each level of your home," Tjeerdsma said.
If your home doesn't have carbon monoxide detectors, you can call down to the fire prevention office and they'll come install them for free.
"We can definitely come out, take a look at your home. We can install new smoke alarms if you need them. We do have the combination smoke seal that we do put outside your bedroom, and like I said those all do have that 10-year battery pack in them," Tjeerdsma said.
That way if there's ever an emergency, you can be confident that they're working to protect you and your family.
If you would like to have your detectors looked at, call (605) 367-8093 or click here
to go to the Sioux Falls Fire Prevention website.
© 2017 KELOLAND TV. All Rights Reserved.