Mike Daum and David Jenkins Jr. combined for 48 points and South Dakota State never trailed in a 94-63 win against Alabama State Tuesday night at Frost Arena.
SDSU (3-0) shot a season-best 45.2 percent from the field and hit a school-record 17 of 29 3-pointers (58.6 percent). The Jacks got to the free throw line 20 times and sank 17 of them.
Valuing the basketball and crashing the boards once again played out in the Jackrabbits' favor, as the team had 23 assists compared to 13 turnovers and won the rebounding battle by 20 (44-24).
"I was really happy with how our guys shared the ball once we got into a rhythm offensively," head coach T.J. Otzelberger said. "23 assists stands out to me that our guys really sharing it. Obviously when you make a lot of 3-point shots that's going to happen, but I thought a lot of the guys gave great contributions."
Daum posted his second straight double-double, leading the Jacks with 30 points and 13 rebounds while hitting five 3-pointers.
Jenkins added five 3-pointers as well, finishing with 20 points for his third consecutive double-figure scoring performance.
Reed Tellinghuisen and Tevin King each had eight points and four assists, second in the category behind Brandon Key's seven assists.
The Jackrabbits did not allow a field goal in the opening five and a half minutes of game action, building a 12-1 lead early on. Alabama State crawled back to within four (13-9) moments later, but the Jacks responded with a 17-3 run over the next six minutes to open up a 30-12 lead with 5:20 to go in the half.
Up 19 at the break, 44-25, SDSU put the game out of reach early in the second, leading by as many as 40 (81-41) with 7:45 to play before closing out the win.
- South Dakota State matched the school record for team 3-pointers in a game with 17, set last season against Fort Wayne on Jan. 21, 2017.
- 23 assists is the most by a Jackrabbit team since Nov. 30, 2016 when SDSU did it against Minnesota Crookston
- Mike Daum moved into ninth in career scoring at SDSU with 1,460 points, passing Garrett Callahan (2006-10; 1,449).
- Mike Daum is now eighth in school history with 487 career free throw attempts. He moved past Virg Riley (1952-56; 485).
- Mike Daum reached 30 points for the 13th time in his career and now has 13 career double-doubles.
- Reed Tellinghuisen sits 39th all-time in scoring as a Jackrabbit with 1,046 career points, passing Pete Leiferman (1989-93; 1,043).
- Reed Tellinghuisen is fifth in school history with 201 career 3-pointers, passing Randy Suarez (1986-89; 197). He is one shy of Garrett Callahan's 202 career 3-pointers (2006-2010).
- David Jenkins reached double figures for the third consecutive game and scored 20 for the first time in his career.
South Dakota State hits the road Friday to take on No. 4 Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas. Tipoff from Phog Allen Fieldhouse is 7 p.m.
DISCLAIMER: The views of the author are not necessarily those of this station, its owners, officers, agents or employees.